Ninite – Install and Update All Your Programs at OnceFebruary 12, 2015 – 9:19 PM
I just recommended this to a Windows user out of sympathy and noticed that I’ve never actually blogged about it, so I would like you to meet Ninite (if you haven’t met already – it’s been around for a while now).
It’s simple to use and has a large selection of popular freeware and open source applications. Just choose the applications that you want to install, download the Ninite installer, then walk away and do something fun while it does all the work for you. The service installs the software with default settings and says “no” to any extra crapware (like browser toolbars) the installers might try to sneak in. Run the installer again later and it updates the applications to the latest versions for you. Supports both Windows and Linux.
- start working as soon as you run it
- not bother you with any choices or options
- install apps in their default location
- say no to toolbars or extra junk
- install 64-bit apps on 64-bit machines
- install apps in your PC’s language or one you choose
- do all its work in the background
- install the latest stable version of an app
- skip up-to-date apps
- skip any reboot requests from installers
- use your proxy settings from Internet Explorer
- download apps from each publisher’s official site
- verify digital signatures or hashes before running anything